Important hygiene tips before anal sex
Anyone can practice anal sex yet this type of sex is more common among a lot of gay and bisexual men. Anal sex can be extremely pleasurable but at times it can be very uncomfortable if one partner is paranoid about poop (feces).
The paranoia that your partner’s penis or sex toy will be filled with poop during sex can really ruin a sexual experience. It is only human to worry and it makes sense to invest in hygiene practices that can take the worry away.
Cleaning the rectum reduces the chances of coming into contact with poop (feces) and helps lower the risk of certain infections from bacteria and parasites found in poop.
Below are some hygiene tips that can help:
You are what you eat
A high-fiber diet is good for you as it ensures that your poop is heavier and compact which makes it easier to pass. It can be extremely difficult to clean loose and runny stools.
Dietary fiber can be found in fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains.
While at it, drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
While some people with great bowel movements can simply clean up normally using tissue paper, wet wipes, or cotton wool before sex, others may need to do more to keep their rectum clean.
Find a hygiene regimen that works for you
It’s always great to ensure that your rectum is clean before anal sex. This is except in cases when you and your partner actually prefers you as you are.
Some people start by using water and a finger to clean and proceed to insert lubed fingers to check for cleanliness but this may be limited in cases where the fingers are short or may not reach deeper areas.
Anal douching when done in moderation can help clear up poop. This involves flushing out your rectum with water or another liquid. There is no magic number but the trick is to take your time when doing it. It is not recommended to do it more than 2 times a week.
It is also recommended to use the right equipment and using the incorrect douching fluid. Good examples of douching tools are douche bulb and fleet enema.
Anal douching tips:
- Slowly and gently insert the lubricated tip of the douche’s nozzle into the anus. Ensure it is far enough so the water does not leak out.
- Squeeze the bottle or bulb of the douche for about 10 seconds to release the saline. The water filling the rectum may initially feel strange, but it should not hurt.
- Hold the water for a few moments and then expel it into the toilet or down a drain.
- Repeat the process until the water runs clean.
- Some people prefer to wait between anal douching and having sex to ensure that all the water has come out.
While anal douching may help you feel more relaxed and confident during sex, it is important to note that doctors do not recommend doing it frequently. Anal douching is specifically associated with an increased your risk for HIV or other Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) because it can irritate or damage the inner mucus lining of your rectum.
Other hygiene methods:
- Cleaning their anus and rectum in the shower before anal sex
- Wiping the rectum with wet wipes to remove any feces
What are your hygiene tips before anal sex? Share with us in the comments section.