Vaginas: 15 mind-boggling facts
Love Matters prides itself in providing all the basic facts you need to know about the vagina. Here, however, we provide some less basic facts.
- Combining exercise and pleasure, the Happy Ride attaches your vagina to your bike through a ‘bicycle seat cover with a discreet, high-powered vibrator tucked inside […]. It comes with an attached remote control so you can adjust the vibration speed to your liking.’
- Vajazzling is ‘the act of applying glitter and jewels to a woman’s nether-regions for aesthetic purposes.’ The name is somewhat misleading since you are actually just decorating your pubic area. But such is the power of the vagina: everybody wants a piece of it.
- Squalene is a substance found in shark livers. It’s also a natural lubricant found in human vaginas. How did that happen?
- Women have been known to hide all sorts of stuff up their ho-has: knives, marijuana pipes, vodka bottles, etc. One woman allegedly stashed over 100 items – including bags of heroin and loose change.
- A Russian woman, Tatiata Kozhevnikova, has the world’s strongest vagina, according to the Guinness World Records. After inserting a glass ball with a hook into her vagina, she can lift a second ball weighing 14 kilograms. Yes: Bolshoi.
- ‘Vaginal rejuvenation‘ is a form of plastic surgery that involves nipping, tucking and general tightening. Most doctors don’t recommend such ‘vagina upgrades’.
- A Brazilian woman allegedly attempted to kill her husband by putting poison in her vagina and asking him for oral sex. Unfortunately for her, vaginas are absorbent…
- A new contraceptive can be popped into your vagina to protect you against both HIV and pregnancy for three months. This ‘tenofovir levonorgesterel IVR’ secretes two very different drugs: an antiretroviral that kills HIV and herpes on contact, and a pill-like hormone that stops the making of babies. But so far, it’s only worked in rabbits.
- While versions of the penis can be found in fish, amphibians and birds, the vagina is unique to mammals.
- While men are often accused of thinking with their pee-shooters, female brains are actually much more complexly wired to their vaginas.
- The use of the C-word – or, for example, chut in Hindi, or bwenye in Kenyan slang – reflects a ‘deep-rooted fear of vaginas and their owners,’ says the author of The Vagina: A Literary and Cultural History.
- In the viral video ‘Men explain vaginas’, the men failed miserably at explaining the different parts of a medical model of the vagina. Only one said something true: ‘It’s a very complex organ.’
- The vagina is home to countless microorganisms. In fact, up to 90 per cent of the cells found in the human body are foreign microbes. Most are friends who help us with such things as digesting milk and fighting disease. The vagina and its ‘microbiome’ have co-evolved together over the last 150 million years and these microorganisms are passed on via the vagina during childbirth.
But what happens when these microbes are wiped out by antibiotics administered during childbirth? Or skipped altogether when the baby is delivered via a C-section? Some researchers believe such interventions may be the cause of the worldwide rise in allergies, asthma, juvenile diabetes and obesity over the last 50 years.
- Engineered lab-vaginas have been successfully transferred to four women who were born without vaginal canals. The operation allowed them to function normally in terms of desire, arousal, satisfaction, ovulation and orgasm. Doctors are also confident they will also be able to reproduce.
- Female ducks have vaginas that can expel sperm if their male lover no longer seems worthy for reproduction.
Did we miss any facts? Share your knowledge below or on Facebook. For questions, you can always get in touch with our discussion board moderators.
About keeping her clean…
About keeping her clean. Seen alot VagWash products. Just wondering if using dettol soap or antiseptic is good enough?
Hi Joan, using warm water to…
Hi Joan, using warm water to wash the vagina is sufficient. It’s not a good idea to use soap, especially in the inside of the vagina. Soap can upset the natural balance of bacteria and make one more likely to get yeast infections. It can also be a cause of itching and irritation or pain during intercourse. If you do choose to use soap, use a gentle one without strong perfumes. Check out the following article;- https://lovemattersafrica.com/our-bodies/female-body/8-tips-to-keep-your-vagina-happy-and-healthy
Do all girls have a clitoris…
Do all girls have a clitoris and Gspot?
Hi Alfred, all women do have…
Hi Alfred, all women do have a clitoris other than when it has been removed through Female Genital Cutting. The g-spot is located on the inside of the vagina, about one to three inches from the vaginal opening on the front wall. Check out the following articles for more details;- https://lovemattersafrica.com/our-bodies/female-body/vulva-and-vagina
My V becomes dry during sex…
My V becomes dry during sex what can I do to deal with this? I have heard that if I eat alot of cabbages it will help, is it true?
Hey Nasenge, the vagina gets…
Hey Nasenge, the vagina gets wet when one is aroused. If you feel it is no longer wet, you and your partner could stop and get you aroused again before intercourse continues. You could also consider using lubricants to supplement. Check out the following article for more information;- https://lovemattersafrica.com/making-love/lubricant-top-five-facts
Can you know if a person has…
Can you know if a person has been having sex with many people of her vagina is not tight?
Hey David, you cannot tell…
Hey David, you cannot tell if a person has been having sex by any means. This is just a myth. Check out the following article;- https://lovemattersafrica.com/our-bodies/female-body/vagina-shapes-and-sizes-myth-buster
I have a clear discharge…
I have a clear discharge from vagina is this expected?
Hello Maximillah, Over the…
Hello Maximillah, over the course of your menstrual cycle, vaginal discharge changes considerably. For most days, it is sticky, milky, and whitish. Around the time a woman is ovulating and fertile, it will become clear and more gel-like. It’s also normal to have more discharge when you are ovulating, breastfeeding or very aroused. However, if you see any drastic changes in smell, colour or quantity, especially in combination with itching, pain or redness, it could be a sign of infection. In that case, you must consult your doctor and get it checked. Check out the following article;- https://lovemattersafrica.com/our-bodies/female-body/vaginal-discharge-and-odour-top-facts
You are welcome John.
You are welcome John.
Can you get herpers from…
Can you get herpers from eating pussy?
Yes, one can get Herpes from…
Yes, one can get Herpes from unprotected oral sex. It is for this reason important to use a condom or dental dam. Have a look at the following articles for additional information;-
hey natoa harufu mbya ukeni…
hey natoa harufu mbya ukeni sana what’s that mean? second is it wrong ku clean azin unaingiza mkono inside v?
Hello Vashal, ni kawaida kwa…
Hello Vashal, ni kawaida kwa uke kuwa na harufu na kila mwanamke ana harufu tofauti. Ni muhimu kujua kama hiyo harufu imebadilika kwa sababu hii inaweza maanisha kuwa mtu amepata maambukizi fulani sana sana kama hiyo harufu itafuatana na maji yasiyo yakawaida kuto ka ukeni. Kuhusu kuosha uke, kama lazima utumie sabuni use baby soap since other harsh or perfumed soaps are likely to disturb the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina. Have a look at the following article for more information;- https://lovemattersafrica.com/our-bodies/female-body/vaginal-discharge-and-odour-top-facts
at least i have known…
at least i have known something
You are welcome John.
You are welcome John.
Normal flora within her V…
Normal flora within her V can they cause some infection ?
Hello Suter, there exist…
Hello Suter, there exist bacteria in the vagina which help to keep the normal balance. The normal levels of bacteria in the vagina do not cause infections.
Hello which is the best age…
Hello which is the best age difference between partners
Hello there, when it comes…
Hello there, when it comes to relationships, age is just a number. As long as both partners are mature, love each other and ready and willing to be in the relationship. Have a look at the following article for additional information;- https://lovemattersafrica.com/love-relationships/happy-relationships/does-age-difference-matter
Thank you for the positive…
Thank you for the positive feedback ricky! We are always here to help!