You can. That is why dental dams and scented condoms were invented. Today, we talk about dental dams.
Dental dams act as a barrier between your mouth and your partner’s genitals during oral sex. They are squire in shape and made from latex or polyurethane. They come in a variety of colors, some are flavored.
Dental dams are a great way to protect yourself or your partner when you have oral sex. Oral sex is also popularly known as going down on someone, blow job, eating southern cuisine, fellatio, sixty-nine, head, etc.
Dental dams can be both used for cunnilingus (oral sex on vulva or vagina), or analingus (oral sex on the anus).
These squares of latex can be your best friend when it comes to preventing the spread of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) like genital herpes, gonorrhea, and HPV. They can also protect you against E. coli, an infection transmitted through feces or stool of people or animals.
- Carefully open the dental dam and remove it from the package.
- Place dental dam flat to cover vaginal opening or anus.
- Proceed to give your partner oral sex
- Cover used dental dam in tissue and dispose in the trash.
Just like a condom, they should only be used once.
Dental dams protect your mouth, tongue, or lips from coming into contact with bodily fluids that can carry STIs. When used properly, dental dams can protect you from STIs and other infections. Always check for expiry dates and store them in a cool and dry place.
Yes, the best thing is that the dental dam is made from very thin material thus they do not have to kill the mood.
On the other hand, because that dental dam is a barrier, just like a condom, the oral sex may feel slightly different than it does without one. A water-based lubricant can help increase sensation.
To be honest, dental dams can be hard to find in Kenya. Your nearest pharmacy may not stock them due to low demand. Fortunately, you can improvise as you can make a dental dam from a condom.
Here’s how to make a dental dam from a condom:
- Carefully open and remove the condom from the package
- Unroll it
- Cut off the tip of the condom
- Cut off the bottom of the condom – part with the outer ring
- Cut down one side of the condom – cut open it by running the scissors across the length
- It is ready for use. Lay flat to cover vagina or anus
Here is an illustration giving you a step-by-step guide:
Have you ever used a dental dam? If not, would you try?