© Love Matters


Gonorrhoea is caused by bacteria called Niesseria gonorrhoeae. It's very contagious. It can infect your throat, urethra, vagina, and anus.
Take the quiz

The good news is that it is easy to cure, too.

How do you get gonorrhoea?

You can get gonorrhoea by having unprotected oral, vaginal, or anal sex. No ejaculation is needed to spread it to another person.

Sometimes, mothers can pass gonorrhoea on to their babies.

Having a new sex partner or multiple sex partners can increase your chances of getting gonorrhoea.

How can you protect yourself from gonorrhoea?

You can reduce your risk of getting gonorrhoea by:

1. Always use condoms.

2. Getting tested for gonorrhoea with your partner.
If you've got a new sex partner, get tested for STDs like gonorrhoea because either you or your partner could be infected without knowing it.

3.If you've got any unusual discharge, sores, or pain when you urinate get tested by your doctor for STDs.

Any of these symptoms are signs that something is wrong. Also let your partner know, so he or she can get tested and treated too. Otherwise, you may pass gonorrhoea back and forth between you and your partner.

What are the signs of gonorrhoea?

Most women and some men have no signs of gonorrhoea infection. Even if you don’t have any signs of infection you can still pass it on.

If you have symptoms, they tend to appear within two to ten days. And when they do, they can be very mild.

Where you have symptoms usually depends on how you've had sex.

Gonorrhoea symptoms in women

  • Increased vaginal discharge
  • Yellow or green vaginal discharge
  • Strong unpleasant vaginal odour
  • Pain when you urinate
  • Pain when you have sex
  • Bleeding after sex
  • Itchy anus
  • Bloody or pus-like anal discharge
  • Difficulty having bowel movements
  • Abdominal pain

It's easy to mistake pain when you urinate and abdominal pain for a bladder infection. However, if you do experience any of these symptoms, get checked out by your health care provider.

If you don't get treated for gonorrhoea, you could become infertile. Like chlamydia, gonorrhoea can spread to the fallopian tubes. If it does, it causes swelling in the abdominal area so you will feel pain in your abdomen. As it spreads, it scars the tubes, and can block eggs from being released to the womb. Over time, this makes you infertile.

If you get pregnant when you're infected with gonorrhoea, you have a greater chance of having an an ectopic pregnancy, when the baby develops outside the womb. Also you can pass on gonorrhoea to your baby when you give birth.

Gonorrhoea symptoms in men

  • Pain when you urinate
  • Needing to urinate often
  • White, yellow, or green penis discharge
  • Pain or swelling in one or both testicles
  • Bloody or mucous-like anal discharge

If you don't get treated for gonorrhoea, you could become infertile. Gonorrhoea can spread along your urethra (the tube where urine comes from) all the way to your testicles. This is why you may feel pain or see swelling in your testicles. Over time, the infection can cause infertility.

How do you get tested for gonorrhoea?

In women, a swab is inserted into the vagina and a sample is taken from the cervix (the neck of the womb, at the end of the vagina). The sample is then tested for gonorrhoea.

In men, there are two ways to test for gonorrhoea – swab or urine analysis.

If gonorrhoea is tested using a swab, the swab is inserted into your urethra (the tube where urine comes from) and then tested for gonorrhoea. You will be asked not to urinate for at least two hours before the test. This is to prevent a false negative, where you test negative for gonorrhoea when you really have it. For a short time after the test, you feel a stinging sensation when you urinate.

If gonorrhoea is tested using urine analysis, you'll be asked to urinate into a cup. Before getting tested, you'll be asked not to urinate for at least four hours. Again, this is to prevent a false negative – you have gonorrhoea but it doesn't show up. Your urine sample will then be analysed to see if you've got the infection.

How do you get rid of gonorrhoea?

Gonorrhoea is easy to cure with antibiotics. They come either in tablet or injection form. Finish all the medication as prescribed, even if you don't have any symptoms, otherwise you may not get rid of the infection.

Antibiotics will treat your infection. However, if you've had gonorrhoea for a long time, they can't repair any damage to your reproductive system.

Riddle ID

Did you learn something new?

Sun, 09/21/2014 - 09:16 am
l met a beautiful lady at my place of work wen l got employed.She fell 4 me bt took me a mnth b4 l knew it..eventually l lvd her n we made lv almost daily coz thats what she wanted..then l came to realize she had a son n had had many men for sex..above all she is 5 yrs older than me.She says she lvs me bt l knw its a lie.l trully lv her..am only 25 and am afraid of ruining my life..hw do l brek up with her? Plz help me
Why would she be be truthful about loving you? Having had other partners in the past is okay, that doesn't mean she doesn't love you. Neither does having a child or being older. So why would you want to break up with her??

Hello Cynthia ndirangu. Yes, gonorrhea can be cured with the right treatment. It is important that you take all of the medication your doctor prescribes to cure your infection. Medication for gonorrhea should not be shared with anyone. Although medication will stop the infection, it will not undo any permanent damage caused by the disease. If you suspect that you have it, visit your doctor as soon as possible to get a proper diagnosis and receive adequate treatment. Have a wonderful week ahead and stay safe.

Hae am bella plz help me guys am inlove wit dis man who iz old enough to be ma father the problem iz this man is married n stays wit his wyf n has 2 kids he kips on telling me thats he loves me so much bt i dnt believe him coz i think all he wants from me is to use me and then dump me like a piece of trush please guys help me n plz don't shw ths txt in public
Hi Bella, to be honest, it's unlikely that this man will leave his wife and children for you. It could happen, but chances are, it won't. So it's up to you to decide whether you want to be the number two for as long as he seems fit, or not. I suggest taking some time away from him, to decide what you want to do. It's your choice. Think about what you want and need out of a relationship, and your future. Good luck!
i av a galfrnd who we stay together for three years ndaatr now the parent of de gal want her to get married wth another guy nd it is a must for her to do WHAT WILL I DO PLZ
Hi Adesh, has she tried to speak to her parents? It's difficult to change the minds of parents, but you need to at least try. And then, the two of you need to talk. What are your options? Could you get married against their will, for example? Could you part ways? Lots of questions, you need to get talking and start some decisions.
hi I had a boyfriend n Luvd him so much intact we started our relationship in high school.so afta kcse i ddnt knw hz weaabt so i decided to move on wid anoda rlshp. afta few months he got ma contacts n started communication again still felt for hm so much..I love hm so much compared to other guy xo ma prob z hw to break up wid da Ada guy n continue wid ma old relationship coz he av been good to me n he loves me xo much n took me to his parents as a future wife plz help.
Thu, 12/04/2014 - 10:23 am
Hai,there is this girl whu is ma neighbor,we hv been very gud frnds wid her untl a fel in lov wid her,wen a told her abot it she told me to gv her smtimes so dt she finishes her kcse,afta she compltd her hae school a went a hed n gv her more time,one dai whn a askd her abot it,she told dt she realy cares fa me a lot bcz she loves me,bt fa da pst two weeks thngs hvnt been soo fine fa me coz she jst changed once,she dsnt evn wana talk to me a hv evn askd her wttsp bt it seems as if she isnt intrstd in me,a thnk am gvn up on her coz a dnt wana force her,wt du a du?
Hi Nelson, give her a bit more time, maybe she needs some space. But then you need to talk to her about this. Her behavior towards you is odd, so you need to try to understand why she is behaving in this way.
Fri, 12/05/2014 - 11:43 pm
I have being in relationship that end up in marriage, for the last one and half year.eventually i found messages in his phone, after reading them i realized it's a conversation between him and her x.i decided to ask him about messages but she crime she never reply or talk to him.just coz of love i believed him. shi finally started spending night out, then she says she was at her relative.but the truth is she have being sleeping to her x.after telling her truth she park' t her things and left.
I have been safely so much for being betrayed I lov him so much dat we broke up,problem iz tht am trying my best to forget him bt I cant
Mercy, have you had a look at this article yet, it might help you! http://lovematters.co.ke/news/getting-over-your-ex-dos-and-donts
i had a gal whum i loved so much...buh unfortunately she was flattering me. i came to realise she had another dude. .wat shall i do forget her.... .
Add new comment


  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang>